Thursday, April 29, 2010

The "Oh Shit" Moment...

Recently I was priviledged enough to get representation by two galleries, one in San Francisco (Artzone 461 Gallery) and one in Kansas City (Blue Gallery). This, in it self, is pretty awesome and I am very excited to be showing my work at these fine establishments. Artzone 461 currently has 12 of my paintings and I just shipped 11 more to Blue Gallery today and yesterday (additionally, I have work in several other galleries/ with consultants, but these two places have the bulk of it). I was so excited that Kelly Kuhn, from Blue Gallery, wanted my work that I immediately said yes and packed them up to be shipped. Yesterday as I was pulling work off my walls I had an "oh shit" moment. I have only 6 paintings left at my studio and I have a solo show at Ampersand Gallery in Portland, OR in mid June and they need at least 20 paintings. CRAP! I don't have enough work anymore!!!

Now, I realize that I did this to myself and, truthfully, it's not such a horrible problem to have. Three galleries want to show my work, poor me, right? But it's the end of April and I am realizing that I have a little over a month to get about 14 paintings done. If this was summer and my teaching job was over, this would be no problem. I am a pretty fast painter and can get a painting done in two days if I was in the studio at least 5 hours a day. But since I am still working fulltime and I also tutor two kids in advanced math after work (finals are coming up soon so I know I will be putting in some extra hours there), getting into the studio for at least 5 hours a day will be hard unless I work into the night. Forget about seeing my fiance or friends in the next 6 weeks. I am in painting mode, full force.

So can I do it? Can I paint at least 14 paintings (probably more since the work that I have left in my studio don't follow the "summer" theme of the show) in a little over 40 days? I don't know if it's possible but I am going to try my hardest to get it done! (Kids, don't try this at home.)

Stay tuned for updates on what is sure to be a crazy month and a half for me!


Images: A work in progress that I was leisurely working on until yesterday. It's too large for me to ship (40" x 30") and the gallery wants small pieces, so this painting will have to be put on hold while I complete all of the smaller pieces (12" x 12" and 16" x 16") for the June show.

No comments:

Post a Comment