Friday, September 30, 2011

Broken Easel and Open Studios

The painting I am still working on...I was so close to
 being finished when my easel broke!
Yesterday as I was trying to finish my latest painting before this weekend's open studios, my easel decided that it would be a good time to break. It was already falling apart and I guess it decided enough was enough. It would no longer work for me. The top bar that holds the top of my painting in place had a stripped screw (which I had already replaced once) which no longer tightened and held my painting securely. This hadn't worked for months but I was still able to use the easel despite the broken piece.

Now the bottom part of my easel, the part that my panel sits on, no longer works. The screws won't tighten so the bottom keeps falling off, and there is nothing to hold my panel to my easel. This happened in the middle of painting yesterday. In order to complete the part I was working on, I had to balance the panel on my knee while it leaned against the back of my now useless easel. After about 30 minutes of trying to paint this way, I gave up.

Since the top and bottom parts that hold my panel in place no longer work, I now have a very interesting coat rack in my studio instead of a much needed easel. Because of this, I will be shopping for an easel today when I should really be finishing my painting. There are so many things that need to get done before this weekend, and now I have this added to the list.

Speaking of this weekend, please stop by open studios and take a look at my "new" coat rack! Oh, and check out my art too. There will be 30 other artists, in addition to myself, showing off what we do to anyone who stops by. Did I mention the free snacks??

Open Studios
October 1st and 2nd, 11-6pm
at Art Explosion Studios
2425 17th Street @ Potrero
San Francisco, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment