Monday, September 5, 2011

Too Many Deadlines, Not Enough Time

It is coming down to the wire and I am realizing that I have way too much to do. With a two-person show, an art event, and open studios coming up ALL at the beginning of October, I have about two weeks to get everything done. In addition to this, I have a new gallery that would still like more work but these other deadlines have to come first. Add in teaching during the day, studying for a major math test for my credential coming up in a week, and then life, well, my head feels like it's about to explode.

If you've been reading my blog for at least a year, you know that this is not new for me. I quite frequently find myself in situations with multiple deadlines within a short period of time. This is my life and I love it! I may be a neurotic, stress-case for a few weeks, much to the chagrin of my very patient husband, but I do get things done. It's going to be a "fun" couple of weeks!

I started this painting today. JoAnne Artman, from JoAnne Artman Gallery,
picked this image out of three that I had chosen for her. She wanted a
painting of full-bodied men in bathing suits. It's a pretty funny image.


I had originally planned on just painting the three guys but when
I finished the underpainting, it didn't look complete. The men
didn't "relate" enough to the white background, if that makes any sense.
It needed more.


I decided to add the shadows and once I did that, the painting felt better composed.
I'm pretty happy with it now. Tomorrow I start the final layers and refinement of the men.

This is the original image. As you can see, there's not
much detail in the faces. As you blow the image up, there's
even less detail. I am having to make most of details of their faces up. 

I also managed to finish the four little paintings for the Art and Chocolate event that Stephanie Breitbard Fine Art is putting on. I really enjoyed working this small (6"x6"). I would love to do a few more but I probably won't have enough time with all the other pieces I have to do. 

I'm sure most of you recognize the woman in the top, left panel. I already
 painted her once, although larger and not so cropped. She has such
amazing eyes that I had to paint her again for this small series. 






No comments:

Post a Comment